How FDAC is different
The Family Drug and Alcohol Court (FDAC) model aims to improve outcomes for children so they can remain or return to their parents' care. Where parents are unable to control their substance misuse, FDAC tries to ensure swift decisions are made to find children permanent alternative homes.
Attached to the Inner London Family Proceedings Court, FDAC also aims to increase the court’s confidence in making decisions without the need for reports from a wide range of external experts.
Unlike conventional care proceedings, parents in FDAC:
- See the same judge throughout the course of the proceedings,
- Have regular court reviews without legal representatives,
- Receive support from a multi-disciplinary team linked to the court. This team carries out tasks including assessment of parental substance misuse and parenting ability, develops intervention plans, and offers fast access to substance misuse services and help with housing issues, domestic violence and financial hardship,
- Receive drug/alcohol testing via the FDAC team,
- Are offered extra support from volunteer parent mentors who have been through their own difficulties,
- Benefit from a dedicated pool of children’s guardians attached to the court.
To find out more about this service, please contact our Family Drug and Alcohol Court team on 020 7278 5708 or firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also visit our Resource library to download and read our leaflets and reports about FDAC.