Your birth records
Were you adopted through Coram and want to find out more?
Coram has carefully retained the personal information and birth records of the children who have grown up in its care, ever since it was first launched as the Foundling Hospital in 1739.
Through an experienced social worker, we offer a birth records information and counselling service to:
- former pupils of the Foundling Hospital and their descendants
- those who grew up in the care of the Thomas Coram Foundation as foster children
- adults previously in the Foundation’s care as children but later adopted by their foster parents
- adults placed for adoption as children through Coram or Adopt Anglia (including Cambridge Association for Social Welfare)
If this sounds like you and and you would like more information, please contact us on 020 7520 0383 or at email@example.com
Please note that we are only able to provide information for adults who fulfil the criteria listed above.
If you are looking to trace records of relatives who you think were in the care of the Thomas Coram Foundation or Foundling Hospital, you can find out more about services for descendants here.
If you are adopted but were not adopted via Coram or Adopt Anglia or in the care of Coram/the Foundling Hospital, and don’t know where the records of your adoption are, please try the following:
- the local authority or adoption agency which arranged your adoption. If you do not know which agency did this, you can make a first approach to the Social Services Department of the local authority in which you live.
- the Adoption Search Reunion website, intended to be the first port of call for anyone thinking about searching for or making contact with birth and adopted relatives or researching an adoption that took place in the UK.
Services for those formerly in the care of the Thomas Coram Foundation and descendants
If you were formerly in the care of the Thomas Coram Foundation and would like to access your own records, please contact the Adoption Support Team directly on firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 7520 0383.
There is no charge for this service for former pupils and for those who were formerly in Coram’s care.
If you are a descendant of someone who was in the care of the Foundling Hospital we can provide information from our records with consent from the nearest surviving descendant.
Coram does not have a legal obligation to provide family history information to relatives and descendants of those formerly in its care. However, we acknowledge that lives may have been significantly affected by separation and loss and we have a unique set of records that may contain information about families of origin.
There is a charge of £75 for a package of information. If this cost prevents you from accessing the records please let us know.
Information will be processed in accordance with Data Protection regulations and personal information about third parties who may still be living cannot be disclosed.
Subject to availability this will include:
- admission details and application form
- summary of circumstances of the birth parents/s
- details of any foster home and dates of attendance at school
- summary of any medical information held (this is likely to be very limited)
- leaving report and employment
- information about the life at the Foundling Hospital School and any appropriate photographs*.
*Please note that although we have a number of photographs of groups of children, very few are named individually.
To apply for this information please email email@example.com for an application form.