Our Supported Housing
Young people leaving care are some of the most vulnerable in society.
Many find they have to forge their own way without parents to help them set up home or teach them how to manage everyday domestic issues, such as eating healthily and managing their money.
Coram gives young people preparing to leave care a place in supported housing and guidance so they can develop the skills and knowledge they need to live independently and manage their lives responsibly.
How we help young people
Young people preparing to move out of care are referred to us by local authorities. We give them a place in a specialist supported house where they have a large single bedroom and shared facilities. Then we work intensively with them to develop their capacity to live independently. We work to:
- Ensure each of our residents is provided with a dedicated social worker and Coram key worker.
- Safeguard against their vulnerabilities including risks from domestic abuse and drugs.
- Address individual needs – helping each young person access education, seek employment and become financially responsible.
- Encourage independent living – our individual and group sessions make young people aware of their legal entitlements, including benefits, and the support and opportunities available to them.
- Provide ongoing support – when a resident is ready to leave it can take between six and 24 months. We help develop their 'move-on' plan and provide resettlement support for as long as they need it.
Examples of the help we offer are:
- Fun and practical group sessions such as multicultural cooking groups.
- Education and employability workshops, including CV writing and interview techniques, literacy, numeracy and understanding the value of credit.
- An art therapy programme funded by The Haberdashers' Livery Company.
Watch a three-minute clip about our Supported Housing service
View more adoption videos on our Coram YouTube channel.
To find out more about this service, please contact us on 020 7520 0300 or at firstname.lastname@example.org