For more than 275 years, we've been helping children and young people to develop their skills and emotional health, finding them permanent, loving homes and upholding their rights, creating a change that lasts a lifetime.
In the past year*:
- The Coram group worked directly with more than 138,505 children, young people and families, and benefitted more than one million others through specialist information and advice.
- Her Majesty The Queen opened the new Queen Elizabeth II Centre, our national centre for the advocacy and support of children's rights, here at Coram's regenerated historic Bloomsbury Campus.
- More than 2.8 million digital users accessed Coram's specialist advice services, including free legal information and advice on child, family and education law from the Child Law Advice Service.
- Coram’s was instrumental in at least 10% of adoptions in England and launched Coram Ambitious for Adoption, the capital's first Regional Adoption Agency, bringing together expertise to more quickly match greater numbers of children with adopters
Early years and education
- 437,936 children were supported by Coram's education and early years services.
- 74% of children showed an improvement in reading ability after working with a Coram Beanstalk helper promoting volunteer reading help in schools (Beanstalk joined the Coram Charity Group in 2018)
- Coram Life Education delivered Personal, Social, Health and Economic (PSHE) education in over 2,000 UK schools, while 25,882 teaching professionals registered for CLE's SCARF (Safety, Caring, Achievement, Resilience and Friendship) curriculum resources
- 3,000 children across the country took up free early education thanks to the work of Coram Family and Childcare's Parent Champions (Family and Childcare Trust joined the Coram Charity Group in 2018)
- As part of its work in upholding children's rights, Coram Children's Legal Centre answered more than 17,000 queries through its legal helplines
- LawStuff, the website that gives free legal information to children and young people received 49,174 visits
- The work of the Migrant Children’s Project on the impact of changes to legal aid led to the Government rethinking the legal aid safety net of 'exceptional case finding' and expanding legal aid
- Coram Voice directly worked with 7,197 children and young people in care, care leavers and children dependant on the help of the state to make their voices heard in decision that matter to them
- 9,819 children and young people responded to the most comprehensive surveys of the views of children in care and care leavers run by Coram Voice
- The national writing competition for care-experienced young people, Voices, received 249 entries, with young people reporting on the unexpected ways in which the competition has changed their lives.
Practice and research
- CoramBAAF supported more than 2,000 enquiries through it's advice service for social workers and other professionals.
*Coram Digest of Achievements, 2018-19
Recognition for the difference we make
Coram’s pioneering work, our innovative approach and the quality of our service has been widely recognised. Recent awards include:
- Coram Capital Adoption was judged Outstanding in all categories by Ofsted.
- Coram International’s Final Evaluation of the Justice for Every Child Project was cited by UNICEF as one of the best evaluations of the year.
*Coram Digest of Achievements, 2018-2019